Thursday, July 18, 2013

Intertropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ)

-What I did was study what is Intertropical Convergence Zone or what they call ITCZ all about.

- I learned that the Intertropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ), known by sailors as the doldrums, is the area encircling the earth near the equator where the northeast and southeast trade winds come together. Weather within the ITCZ can be quite violent as the weather systems from the northern and southern hemispheres converge. Thunderstorms within the ITCZ can reach heights of 80,000 plus feet.

I can apply my learning about this phenomenon to my everyday life. I know now how to relate it with the weather updates being televised in our television. I can prepare myself and also my family if there will be an Intertropical Convergence Zone and if there is a chance that it will generate into a Tropical Depression.
TRIVIA:
  • About 80% of all tropical cyclone originate in the ITCZ. 
  • The NE trade winds and SE trade winds converge in a low pressure zone known as the Intertropical Convergence Zone or ITCZ.
  • The location of the ITCZ varies throughout the year and while it remains near the equator, the ITCZ over land ventures farther north or south than the ITCZ over the oceans due to the variation in land temperatures.
Weather is a part of our life. It changes day by day. For that, we should be aware of it, we should be aware of its constituents, of its cycle, of the phenomena governing it. One is the Intertropical Convergence Zone or ITCZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment